Monday, May 13, 2019

Movie Review Monday: POKEMON!

OK, so in addition to my second review of "Endgame" I am also going to be posting about "Pokemon: Detective Pikachu" which I got to see on Thursday. And quite honestly, I was SUPER surprised about this movie. So let's check it out!


"Pokemon: Detective Pikachu" (Director: Rob Letterman)



OK, so if you grew up with Pokemon, no matter your opinion of them, you knew that there was going to be some semblance of predictability, and that many of them would be EXTREMELY cute. And honestly, if you remember the movie "Pokemon the Movie" from like 2000, then quite honestly, you could see MANY similarities to this movie. Not even kidding when I say that, I am honestly wondering if they decided to just steal part of that movie to help with making this movie. Which honestly disappointed me very much. I was totally waiting for that theme song that was at the end of the original movie to come on at some point, and was grateful when it did not. But, regardless, double the sins! *ding, ding!*


But that's besides the point, because quite honestly, Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu was EVERYTHING!! And the banter between him and Smith was magic! I did love that Tim Goodman (played by Justice Smith) did NOT initially want to go the route of accepting Pikachu and therefore basically was defying Pokemon game logic in wanting to take part is using and working with Pokemon. It was actually a new idea that I was intrigued by, because typically, the idea of Pokemon was to "catch them all" and basically be a trainer. Tim stopped wanting to do this after his father decided to focus more on work. But that's the typical "daddy issues" plot cliche. *ding*

Anyway, the story is driven along by looking for Tim's father who SUPPOSEDLY died in a car crash. Along the way, we see they are also trying to figure out Pikachu's missing memory as well as locate the Mewtwo who supposedly started this issue. When finding out this is NOT the case, it then becomes a matter of trying to stop the bad guy in time, which just turned out to be pretty funny. 

The plot was pretty predictable but that did not stop me from enjoying this movie, which honestly, when I first saw trailers for it, I cringed. 


But, considering how SONIC is looking, they may want to take a page from this movie to up their game in the graphic department--the Pokemon were done VERY well in the movie and truly looked like they belonged in the world created for them. I mean, you can see the reactions for just Bulbasaur alone! This little Pokemon is CUTE!



Plus, a great surprise cameo at beginning AND end, although I am still wondering how they dragged Ken Watanabe into this movie.



And many parts of this movie have lead me to creating some interesting designs, which you can see below. I am glad I went to this movie and I got quite a few good laughs, which I SORELY needed this week! Overall, I would definitely recommend this movie, especially if you need a break from all the feels that "Endgame" gives you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Fluttershy Friday! I'M MOVING!!! (Also, #154, 155, 156, and 157!!!)

 OK, so first and foremost, SO SORRY for not a lot of posts. Creative burnout is real, as well as some BIG news... I AM MOVING INTO MY OWN H...