Saturday, October 13, 2018

Way Too Long (NYCC Recap)

So, I have been a horrible blogger lately, due to the new schools, adapting to all that, off and on sick, and so much more. I haven't done much lately in terms of art because I have been busy with playing catch-up on trying to grade stuff for my schools, because they finally gave me a break down on how things should get graded (or thereabouts). I have a lot more this weekend to do, so I am making this blog tonight. Hopefully, I will get to do some sculpting this week, though. I would love to finish up the Pink Lion from Steven Universe that I am making, as well as the soldier Aurora too.

But, in the meantime, I can at least give a recap of my time at NYCC this year. This year was a first for me, as I did more than just one day. Normally, I do only Thursday, when all the education stuff is happening. But this year, I did Saturday and Sunday as well. Over the course of these three days, I went to a whole lot of panels, many of which were very informative about how to create a more inclusive library in a school (I am starting the library club at one of the schools I am working at, so this seemed relevant). I also got to go to the Star Talk panel that was on the first day thanks to winning my lottery slot, and I got to go to Twisted Toonz, although that was cut short due to a fire in the back of the main stage area. Which was very weird, because no alarm went off. But in a way, I am glad an alarm didn't go off. Can you imagine the entire Javits center getting evacuated? No thanks! My biggest complaint was that the 5th Ave NYC Library (where the education stuff took place on Thursday) is way too far from the Javits center, and there was no shuttle to get from Javits and back that the con provided. As someone who has a very bad knee, the thought of going up and down the subway stairs all day just made my knee ache. Honestly, there should have been a shuttle for those of us who wanted to be a part of both the Library and Javits panels.

Now, with all this said, I will say that the new Anime fest that NYCC put on was a complete waste, honestly. First of all, the biggest issue was it was SO FAR AWAY from the actual con, with NO direct transportation until Saturday at LEAST. Also, it doesn't help that the Anime fest was a separate fee, and there were no panels that held more interest than the anime panels at the main con. I felt like Anime was just one giant artist alley, which is not a bad thing. The main problem at Javits is Artist Alley is almost all reserved for comic book artists, not really anyone who does stuff like me--more 3D art. At Anime, it felt more like an artist alley that I would be a part of, if there was better traffic. That was another problem--no signage ANYWHERE. When I arrived at the location, I felt like I was at the wrong location. It honestly felt very slapdash.  However, the staff seemed helpful, and the variety of artists selling was very wide.

I got some epic photos and autographs, and the actors seemed to like the prints I made for them. Check them out below! I also am starting to look at which cons to do next year. Hopefully, I will have some lists soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Fluttershy Friday! I'M MOVING!!! (Also, #154, 155, 156, and 157!!!)

 OK, so first and foremost, SO SORRY for not a lot of posts. Creative burnout is real, as well as some BIG news... I AM MOVING INTO MY OWN H...