Sunday, August 26, 2018

To Honor BronyCon

Recently, BronyCon, one of the largest MLP cons in the US, announced that they would be closing their doors next year. Next year will be the last BronyCon. Now, this is extremely sad for a lot of people, and I would think it's very sad for those of us who can't really go to any of the other MLP cons. There are a fair amount of MLP cons in Canada, as well as on the West Coast. The closest con that I will be able to get to will be TrotCon, and that will still be 13 hours away. BronyCon was 4. There used to be PonyCon, no more than 2 hours away, but that con is no more either.

Now, why would this be a big deal? BronyCon was definitely not my first con, but that's not the point. BronyCon was the con I went to during my troubled relationship. BronyCon was where I found friends, and in a way, a family. When I first went, granted, I had been introduced to the MLP universe by my ex husband (probably the only thing I have been thankful for). I went to my first BronyCon in 2013, where I actually did vend for a day, but I was only able to sell for one day, due to my job at the time. But I remember it very well, because on my last day, I got some of my first autographs--from the voice actresses of Spike, Zecora and Princess Celestia. The following years, I would either sell or attend BronyCon and make friends, go to panels, learn new tricks for my own figurines, and meet some epic VAs. This past year was the first year I was unable to attend BronyCon due to my graduate school, but since the announcement, I fully intend to make sure I go.

Since hearing about the closure of BronyCon, I wanted to find ways to show my appreciation. This led to doing some digital designs. Now, many of you may know, I am not a full print artist. I am more of a sculptor, which is ironic since in college and my first grad school, I sucked at sculpture. I even had a professor tell me I have two left thumbs. So, imagine my surprise when, as I have become a vendor, I have become known for my figurines rather than drawings and paintings. However, I decided to try my hand to make something to honor the con that has basically been a life saver.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Fluttershy Friday! I'M MOVING!!! (Also, #154, 155, 156, and 157!!!)

 OK, so first and foremost, SO SORRY for not a lot of posts. Creative burnout is real, as well as some BIG news... I AM MOVING INTO MY OWN H...