Monday, February 10, 2020

Movie Review Monday: GENTLEMEN, grab your guns!

Ladies and gentlemen we are one day after the Oscars, and I won't comment on anything in order to avoid any controversy. However, I spent Sunday going to the movies, avoiding the new Harley Quinn movie. I have nothing against Margot Robbie, but usually I see a DC logo and I cringe. To be honest, I am worrying already over the new Wonder Woman movie, with Chris Pines reviving a dead character (I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION!)

Anyway, yesterday I saw the new Guy Ritchie film, "The Gentlemen" and boy, did this movie stun me. Now, my experience with Guy Ritchie films is limited to seeing both Sherlock films and the King Arthur film. I refused to see 'Aladdin' (the villain looked weak), and while I do know of his other films, they just never came off as something I cared to see. Nevertheless, when I saw the previews for this, I was intrigued. And I was NOT disappointed! So let's grab a Scotch, and listen to the review!

"The Gentlemen" (Director: Guy Ritchie)


Upon sitting down, I was expecting a very gangster type of film, something that I can only assume had the feel of "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" but still had the cinema feel that made everyone love "Sherlock Holmes" and "Game of Shadows." And it definitely had that feel to it. It actually reminded me quite a bit of "Kingsmen" to be honest, with some of the mobsters being "gentrified" and proper, including Matthew McConaughey's character, Mickey, who plays the American who went to Oxford and dropped out to sell weed. He's looking to get out of the game, so he can spend more time with his wife, played SPECTACULARLY by Michelle Dockery. However, this sets off a whole slew of a chain of events, that include a raid on one of Mickey's farms, and the death of another drug lord.


During this entire film, it's technically being narrated by flamboyant reporter Fletcher (played by Hugh Grant who sounded like he was trying to channel Michael Cain with his accent) to Charlie Hunnam's character, Raymond, who is basically Mickey's right-hand man in everything. 


And for real, I LOVED Raymond in this movie, he became my favorite character throughout this entire film. I was genuinely reminded of my boyfriend in certain instances--not like my boyfriend would go around and DO any of those things, but just like the extremes I saw and the attitude given off by Raymond, all I could think of was my boyfriend. It was insane! I don't want to give much more away, but I know this film will be out of theaters soon, so GO SEE IT BEFORE IT LEAVES THE THEATERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Fluttershy Friday! I'M MOVING!!! (Also, #154, 155, 156, and 157!!!)

 OK, so first and foremost, SO SORRY for not a lot of posts. Creative burnout is real, as well as some BIG news... I AM MOVING INTO MY OWN H...