Monday, December 23, 2019

Movie Review Monday! A Day of Twos!

Happy Monday my fellow readers! It's Movie Review Monday, and we have a plethora of movies to talk about! Since I had a snow day on Tuesday, I decided to spend the days at the movies and saw, not only "Frozen II" but "Two Popes." 

Let's review, shall we?

"Frozen II" (Directors: Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee)


OK, so I knew I would EVENTUALLY see this movie, but after one of my little 1st graders heard me singing one day and telling me I sounded just like Elsa, I felt like I had to go to this movie. And to be honest, I am pretty glad I did. Now, this isn't necessarily a movie that everyone ASKED for--I mean, the way the last one ended, the sequel isn't exactly necessary except to make merchandise, to be honest. However, despite pandering to the fact that "Frozen" pretty much became the turn-to movie for any parent, after the shorts that were made as little interludes, a sequel was pretty much guaranteed. 

This movie follows Elsa picking up on something supernatural happening around her, mainly hearing a voice no one else can hear (surprisingly, no one calls her crazy), and deciding to wake up some supernatural elemental spirits in order to help her on her quest. Now, I am not sure WHY waking up the spirits was necessary, when it seemed that just following the voice would have been enough. The spirits do become necessary later, but I feel like that it could have been developed more. And yes, I do realize they are making this movie for kids so not everything needs to make sense and have a back story, though sometimes I wish they would. 

The movie does go into the history of Elsa and Anna's mother and father, as well as their grandfather, who is the cause of the trouble that begins with the start of the movie. It was nice to have a bit of closure for what happened to their parents, as well as see the characters grow in their own ways. Although surprisingly, I was not as amused by Olaf this time around as I was when I saw the first movie. It's almost as if they were trying to show the whole cast as maturing, and the most obvious way to do so was to make Olaf a bit more mature, in spite of his immaturity and goofiness. 


Overall, I did love the music, even though Kristoff's song was very cringe-worthy and trying to make it seem like a cheesy 90s ballad. But many of the songs were beautiful, and in the end, I felt there was closure to the whole "Frozen" universe.




"Two Popes" (Director: Fernando Meirelles)


What if Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis got together and watched a soccer match? Well, in this movie you have your answer. Did this actually happen? More than likely not, but as you sit and watch this movie, you will start to wonder if any of the interactions that take place between Pope Benedict (played by Anthony Hopkins) and Pope Francis (played by Jonathan Pryce) actually happened.

This movie is a bit of a reflection, as Pope Benedict listens to the history of Pope Francis' life, all while taking place several days before Pope Benedict announces his resignation (this means Pope Francis is still a cardinal at this point.) While talking about his life, the two Popes talk about the issues within the Catholic Church and what can be done to make things right. 

Both actors give command performances, very much playing off of each other in terms of dynamics. When I was told that this movie was like an imaginary conversation, I wasn't sure what to expect, although it was very much a pleasant surprise I enjoyed it as much as I did. The quips are hysterical. This is very much a dark horse type of film, and I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Fluttershy Friday! I'M MOVING!!! (Also, #154, 155, 156, and 157!!!)

 OK, so first and foremost, SO SORRY for not a lot of posts. Creative burnout is real, as well as some BIG news... I AM MOVING INTO MY OWN H...