Monday, January 21, 2019

Movie Review Monday! (UPDATED!)

Welcome to another Movie Review Monday!! This week's movie: "Glass!"

"Glass" (Director: M. Night Shyamalan)



So, the hype this week was the new movie "Glass." Despite early reviews, I did my best to go into this with a VERY open mind--I have issues with M. Night Shyamalan-ding-dong (side-eyes "The Last Airbender"...YOU HAD ONE JOB! FOLLOW THE STORY IN THE SHOW AND YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE! NO CHANGES REQUIRED!!) However, after my shock at how much I enjoyed the movie "Split," I admit I became part of the crowd who waited in breathless anticipation for the final piece of this trilogy, even though I didn't see "Unbreakable" until this past summer (and it left me underwhelmed). But it was McAvoy's performance as Kevin/Patricia/Dennis/Hedwig/The Beast in "Split" is what really got me going for this...and it annoyed me that as I sat watching "Glass," Hedwig was the main personality in the light--I'm sorry, but Patricia is basically who I aspire to be for NYCC come this year (although I may want to also do a Dr. Staple too, and pretend I am treating clients.)





As "Glass" progressed, it began to feel disjointed, showing glimmers of something that could have created a whole new genre of heroes and villains in a cinematic world where our ideas of heroes and villains immediately goes to either Marvel or DC. However, somehow, it all fell apart, with next to no climax, and the writing slowly going down the tube. 

Regardless of the filming, the performance by McAvoy, Jackson, and Willis were absolutely fantastic, although McAvoy should get special praise for his performance(s). But honestly, everything felt rushed, especially when you talk about Sarah Paulson's character, Dr. Staple, saying she has only 3 days to convince the three leads that they are not superheroes and the aftermath showing the classic M. Night twist, which honestly should have been fleshed out more.

This was definitely not the movie I was hoping for, although I definitely knew I didn't want (or need) the big sort of Marvel/DC superhero type movie for this. M. Night, allow me to invoke a little bit of Patricia's sarcasm when I do my slow clap as I say:






UPDATE!!!!:

Since seeing the movie, I stumbled upon this YouTube video that gives a very thorough explanation of some of Shyamalan's decisions as well as an analysis of why certain things might have happened. Once seeing this, I began to understand certain things a bit better, although I still had issues, and honestly, this video does make many good points. If you were like me and felt a bit disappointed, check out this video for yourself and see if this helps you:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Fluttershy Friday! I'M MOVING!!! (Also, #154, 155, 156, and 157!!!)

 OK, so first and foremost, SO SORRY for not a lot of posts. Creative burnout is real, as well as some BIG news... I AM MOVING INTO MY OWN H...